Pfizer-BioNTech’s pediatric COVID-19 vaccine (10 µg) approved by Health Canada for children aged 5-11 years
As most of you have certainly already heard, Health Canada has approved the use of Pfizer-BioNTech’s pediatric COVID-19 vaccine (10 µg) in Canada for children aged 5-11 years.
At this time our clinic will not be supplied with COVID-19 vaccines.
Also, please note, at this time, NACI recommends that children receive the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (10 mcg) at least 14 days before or after another vaccine. This is a precaution to help to determine if a side effect that may arise is due to the COVID-19 vaccine or another vaccine. There may be circumstances when a dose of a COVID-19 vaccine and another vaccine need to be given at the same time – a healthcare provider can help with this decision.
Many parents have questions about the vaccine safety and efficacy, as well as how to obtain this vaccine for their children. We hope you find the following resources helpful:
- Summary of the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) statement of November 19, 2021
- COVID-19 vaccines for children and youth
- Is the COVID-19 vaccine safe for kids?
- Team Toronto Kids COVID-19 vaccination plan
- FAQ COVID-19 mRNA vaccines for children
- Myocarditis and Pericarditis after COVID-19 Vaccines
- Now or Wait? (When to vaccinate?)
- Benefits of vaccinating children 5-11 against COVID
- Sick Kids Hospital COVID-19 resources
- Sick Kids COVID-19 Vaccine Consult Service
- Sick Kids resource: CARD system to help your child cope before and during vaccination
Booking Vaccines for ages 5-11
- How to book a COVID-19 vaccine appointment
- COVID-19 pharmacy vaccine locations
- Public Health Units
- Vaccine Hunters (@VaxHuntersON) is back to help find vaccine appointments.
As your medical team, we support the decision of Health Canada and encourage you to vaccinate your children if they are eligible. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.